Friday, June 19, 2009

GREAT DAY (BUT WET FEET!)

Had a great appointment with the oncologist yesterday. I'm in the 5% that make it with this cancer to the 18 months point - BRILL! And (the most amazing thing) my next appointment is not until the 2nd October! The whole summer with no appointments, no treatment and HAIR! What could be better? Also when Teresa asked him if we could book our 25th wedding anniversary cruise for April 2011 he said 'go for it'!

What a mad journey. I give thanks to God for all His healing, to the NHS for all their care, to my friends for their support and of course to my wonderful wife and family for holding the bucket during chemo, mopping my brow as yet another camera was inserted down my throat, up my bum and even (yes) up my nose. Thanks guys.

On a realistic front the battle now is to ensure through healthy living, prayer, positive attitude and LOTS of holidays with family and friends (roll on Malaga) we keep what is still a malignant tumour in my oesophagus and not see it spreading elsewhere. I have been promised a CT scan and endoscopy whenever I feel like I need one so I need to keep myself alert for any changes, aches and pains.

WARNING: I hope to live very well and hopelessly expensively so the blog from this point onwards might not be for the fainthearted. Having a run in with the grim reaper is a great wake up call to enjoy yourself. Spent too many years with a big dollop of Protestant Evangelical guilt (yuck what a waste of energy) and that driven work ethic. No more. If you are our friends be prepared to be exhausted by partying!

The reference to 'damp' in the title of today's blog is I reference to the near sinking of my boat yesterday. We arrived at the marina to find a foot of dirty water in the cabin and all our boaty possessions floating and covered in slime. Got soaked feet paddling around rescuing things. My pride and joy looked VERY sad. Oh well, only a 'thing'. The great guys at the marina who were about to go home pumped it out and craned it onto the bank where the leak is being tracked down. Hopefully she'll be 'bunged up' cleaned out and afloat by Sunday - Father's Day.

Happy Birthday to Amy (my eldest) who is 21 today; have a great day. Also Chloe who is 23 today and gone off to Alton Towers with the Goodsons from church. Have a great day both of you we love you both very much.

Well think that's about all for now - I'll carry on blogging as you seem to want me too. Also, it sort of matters that the stories with happier endings are on the blog too. Too many blogs end with a final entry by a partner or friend that starts... 'Fred lost his courageous fight...', I know other cancer patients read this so I'll keep going. If you are facing the cancer fight too then some advice:

  1. Stay positive and dump the negative friends ASAP (mentioning no names!)
  2. Spend time with positive friends and if you haven't got any find some ASAP
  3. Pray and if you don't; start ASAP,
  4. Stop working if you can afford to (realise not all can)
  5. Book some holidays!

    See you guys

    Luv ya

    David
    xxxxx

4 comments:

Roz Squire said...

Go Dave. What an amazing testimony of our Gods faithfulness. Enjoy youself and be truly blessed in abundance.x

Anonymous said...

Hi D and T, very very happy that the blog seems to be filled with good news,im an avid follower esp as i dont get to see u as much anymore although that will all be changing in sep and im looking forwad to coming back! happy bday to amy n chloe and i'll see u in church soon,hannah xxx

jackie g said...

Hey Ever Ready, its been May since I logged into your blog and I am astonished that there is anyone who wouldn't enjoy reading your account of what is happening in your life. I LOVE READING IT! and don't you dare stop. I live too far from you to make any real difference to you and your situation, the blog is one way I can share and support the things you go through - which includes all of the ups and downs. Please keep going and ignore any of the 'losers' in life who suggest the blog is anything less than wonderful.

I have been really busy myself with a trip to Italy and a return to the dreaded 'work' thing - I should retire/I must retire and enjoy life as you do. Of course I have my wonderful dog 'Scooby' who takes up a lot of my time these days and where would I be without my wonderful husband and friend Don - LIFE IS GOOD. I wish you and Flo & family all good things, may your postive thinking stay with you forever - I am so pleased and grateful I met you all of those years ago at Harbern House - you are a little STAR! x x x x

Anonymous said...

Hey Dovid!
Don't forget the holiday to get over the holidays...........
Sorry to hear about the boat.....need I mention that PONIES never spring leaks, need pumping out, or need bunging up.........
So glad that you continue to be "ever ready", and your enthusiasm is contagious.
You have blessed so many, and planted seeds of faith in many more.
I look forward to hearing you antics in the future, have to brush up on my powers of playful insults.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY girls, have a great day.....never know, if your're good, there might be a holiday in it for you...

Blessings to you all, as always, especially you Mr. Five Percent. Continue to thrive on Gods faithfulness and love.
"Minimal Trace" will do....for now.
Love,
sianaroonie x